7 Tips to Organize Your School Kids
Written by: Barbara
Home Organization Resources
1. Place near the door a rack for outerwear and
a shelf or mat for shoes. Have kids deposit their
coats, hats, gloves, shoes upon entering. Each
evening, they replace with tomorrow's shoes and
2. Have kids empty their backpacks when they
arrive home. Provide a basket in which they can
place anything for parents' review.
3. Make sure your kids have a well-lit place to do
homework. Teach them to use in/out trays to ensure
no homework is missed.
4. Give them chores. Teachers report that kids who
regularly do chores at home are more responsible in
5. Help kids manage their time. Teach them to list all
their responsibilities (chores, homework, soccer practice)
and how much time each will take.
6. Prepare each evening. Pick out clothes and shoes.
Pack lunches. Set out breakfast. Place backpack by
7. Make an out-the-door checklist. Note everything
they need to take to school. Post it on the door.
Myers is a professional organizer and author of
The Complete Guide to Organized Parenting. FREE "50 Ways
to Manage Your Time" Tips Booklet. Visit