Recipe: Strawberry Kisses
by Rondi Hillstrom Davis and
Janell Sewall Oakes
Janell reminded me of one of our all time favorite Valentine Parties. I had
invited 3 girlfriends and their kids over for tea and an afternoon of sweet
treats and conversation. We pulled out the silver tea service and doilies,
and let the kids assemble strawberry meringue ice cream cookies. As we
helped them make the cookies, an impromptu discussion began about how we had
first met our husbands. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon--captured by a
wonderful reminiscence for Valentines Day.
1 quart strawberry ice cream
1 cup sugar
A pinch of salt
Fresh strawberries and whipped cream for garnish
Parchment paper or foil
Heart shaped cookie cutter
1. Spread the ice cream evenly in a 9-inch square pan lined with plastic
wrap. Freeze for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 250°.
3. To make the meringues, place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie
sheet. Use the cookie cutter and a pencil to trace a heart shape onto the
paper. Space your hearts about 1 ½ inches apart.
4. Separate the eggs, saving the yolks for another day. In a large bowl,
beat the egg whites with the pinch of salt until stiff.
5. Beat in the sugar, one spoonful at a time, until the mixture is thick and
6. Spoon the mixture into a zip top bag and seal. Cut the bottom corner off
of the bag. Use the bag to pipe the meringue onto the parchment paper,
following the heart outlines.
7. Bake the meringues for 1 hour until crisp. (Time may vary based on
humidity.) Let them cool completely and then carefully peel the meringues
off of the parchment paper. The meringue cookies can be made several days in
advance and stored in an air tight container.
8. To assemble, remove the ice cream from the freezer. Use the cookie cutter
to make ice cream hearts. Place between 2 cookies and garnish with whipped
cream and fresh strawberries.
About the Authors: Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes are the
co-authors of the award winning book Together: Creating Family Traditions.
To check out their website that's jam packed with family ideas, visit
More Valentine's Day
Activities at Catholic Mom
CatholicMom.com Home Page