DVD Available Sept. 11
Hit Independent Film Topped $5.3 Million at Box Office;
Love Story with a Message Touched Viewers, Sparked ControversyNASHVILLE – Aug. 29, 2012 – The surprise hit OCTOBER BABY—an independent film that topped $5.3 million at the box office, sparked debate in national media and touched audiences nationwide with its entertaining love story and compelling message about the sanctity of life – debuts Sept. 11 on DVD with more than 2 hours of bonus features.
A production from Jon and Andrew Erwin and American Family Studios with Provident Films, OCTOBER BABY weaves a dramatic, romantic, humorous story of one young woman’s search for the truth after a life-changing discovery rocks her world. Distribution in the Christian bookstore market will be through Provident Distribution, while Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will distribute to all other domestic markets.
OCTOBER BABY drew praise from the Catholic community and the mainstream media:
• From The Movie Reporter: “OCTOBER BABY is a powerful parable about healing…. It doesn’t preach, nor does it accuse, it merely makes a valid point that should be considered.”
• From the Los Angeles Times: “Fine performances and authentic emotion . . . a film whose poignancy is hard to deny.”
• From Fr. Peter West, Human Life International Vice President for Missions: “October Baby definitely has the potential to change hearts and minds.”
• From Fr. Frank Pavone, National Director of Priests for Life: “OCTOBER BABY is a major blessing to our movement!”
• Catholic Pro-Life Committee Executive Director Karen Garnett saidOCTOBER BABY is “a gift to all those who have strived for so long to break open the hearts of the masses to the beauty and sanctity of life. October Baby is a must-see, masterpiece film for life, so critically needed at this time in history.”
• From Bill Donohue, President of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights: “OCTOBER BABY is the most gripping drama ever produced about the central civil rights issue of our time – the right to life.”
• From Heartbeat International President Peggy Hartshorn: “OCTOBER BABY is a heart-warming story of redemption that brings to the big screen how a seemingly small decision can powerfully affect many lives and relationships.”
OCTOBER BABY stars John Schneider (Smallville, Dukes of Hazzard), Jasmine Guy (A Different World) and newcomers Jason Burkey and Rachel Hendrix, who plays Hannah. In the film as the curtain rises, Hannah hesitantly steps onto the stage for her theatrical debut in college. Yet before her first lines, she collapses. Countless medical tests all point to one underlying factor: Hannah’s difficult birth. This revelation is nothing compared to discovering that she was actually adopted . . . after a failed abortion attempt. Bewildered, angered and confused, Hannah embarks on a journey with Jason, her oldest friend. In the midst of her incredible journey to discover her hidden past and find hope for her unknown future, Hannah sees that life can be so much more than what you have planned.
OCTOBER BABY marks the feature debut of Jon and Andrew Erwin, who are multiple Dove Award winners for music videos featuring hit contemporary Christian artists such as Casting Crowns, Michael W. Smith and Francesca Battistelli.
The film’s unique blend of humor, romance, drama and a life-affirming message sparked controversy as well, generating front-page coverage in the New York Times. Additionally, the producers of OCTOBER BABY have assigned 10 percent of the profits of the movie to the Every Life is Beautiful Fund, which will distribute funds to frontline organizations helping women facing crisis pregnancies, life-affirming adoption agencies and those caring for orphans.
Special features on the OCTOBER BABY DVD include:
• Commentary by Jon and Andrew Erwin and the OCTOBER BABY family
• October Bloopers
• Deleted Scenes, featuring the characters Truman, Bmac and much more
• Shari Rigby’s story—How OCTOBER BABY helped an actor in the film deal with events from her own past
• Gianna Jessen: The Inspiration for OCTOBER BABY
• Singing the Praises of OCTOBER BABY
• Facebook Q&A with Rachel Hendrix and Jason Burkey
• Every Life Is Beautiful Stories
o Jon Erwin
o Gianna Jessen
o Andy Erwin
o Mark Hall (Casting Crowns)
o Pat Layton
o Ken Bevel (COURAGEOUS)
o Dan Atchison (OCTOBER BABY producer)
• The Afters Life Is Beautiful music video
About the Author
We welcome guest contributors who graciously volunteer their writing for our readers. Please support our guest writers by visiting their sites, purchasing their work, and leaving comments to thank them for sharing their gifts here on CatholicMom.com. To inquire about serving as a guest contributor, contact editor@CatholicMom.com.