The other day, it was cold and rainy and dark, and all I wanted was grilled cheese and tomato soup. And, since I love the kitchen, I wanted to doctor them up a bit. My friend Kelly gave me “the best tomato soup recipe I have ever tasted” (source: my husband). And Rachael Ray was making the easiest cheese profiteroles on her show that afternoon, so I took a look at her recipe and made up a little version of my own. Bingo Bango: Grown Up Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese! Of course, I am here to share:
1 medium onion
1/2 stick cream cheese
3 cans Campbells Tomato Soup
2 cans full of milk
1 can full of water
garlic powder, paprika, pepper, basil to taste
1. Chop onion and saute in butter; use a large pot for this.
2. Stir in cream cheese to melt.
3. Add soup, milk and water. Stir well.
4. Season to taste.
These took me all of 30 minutes from start to finish. They are cheesy and yummy and addictive. Instead of fancy cheese, I used cheddar, and I found that cooking them for 15 minutes was enough. Obviously you know your oven though.
6 tbsp. butter
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1 cup cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine water, butter and salt over med-high heat and heat until butter is melted and water starts to boil.
3. Add flour and continue cooking until a dough ball forms.
4. Transfer mixture to stand mixer and very slowly add eggs one at a time. Beat until the bowl is cooled.
5. Add cheese to mixture.
6. Plop 1 inch sized balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Feel free to use a dough scoop or a pastry bag.
7. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the profiteroles are fluffy and golden.
Copyright 2014 Jenna Hines
About the Author
We welcome guest contributors who graciously volunteer their writing for our readers. Please support our guest writers by visiting their sites, purchasing their work, and leaving comments to thank them for sharing their gifts here on CatholicMom.com. To inquire about serving as a guest contributor, contact editor@CatholicMom.com.