Here is a brief excerpt from the chapter on basic spiritual protection.
- Avoid evil and have nothing to do with the occult.
- Keep your mind on God and his angels and saints. If you are stressing about evil, you are probably not spending enough time and energy on God.
- Frequent the sacraments, which strengthen your soul with grace.
- If you are in the state of mortal sin, run to confession. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is worth more than a hundred exorcisms; one imparts sacramental grace, and the other is a blessing to help move a person back to the sacraments.”
- Be aware that sin is the greatest evil. “Sin is a far greater danger than the devil. The devil is outside of us. Even in a possession, he cannot possess our soul.”
- Have a relationship with Jesus and go to Mass on Sundays. “The devil is already on the run if you are going to church and especially if you are receiving Communion.”
- Forgive others. Don’t let anger and resentment open you to evil influences.
- Keep in mind that demonic retaliation is a good sign that you are doing the right thing. Take away the drama. It’s not the worst thing in your life. Evil spirits don’t like being kicked out, but the Lord has something to say about it.
- Pray the Rosary. The enmity between the Blessed Mother and Satan — proclaimed solemnly by God in Genesis (Genesis 3:15) — makes her the number-one enemy of demons. In Fr. Gabriel Amorth’s book An Exorcist Explains the Demonic, he said of the Blessed Mother, “The demon is terrified of her. In order to be very clear, I wish to cite an episode at which I personally assisted many years ago. During an exorcism, Father Candido asked the devil a question: ‘Why are you more afraid when I invoke Mary than when I implore God Himself?’ He responded: ‘I feel more humiliated being conquered by a simple creature than by God Himself.’”
- Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy especially at 3:00 PM, the hour of mercy. God’s mercy is greater than any evil, so that we can call upon him with trust.
- If you fear something more is going on that you cannot handle through ordinary means, talk with a priest.
Copyright 2019 Patti Maguire Armstrong
About the Author
Award-winning author and journalist Patti Maguire Armstrong hosts the TV talk show Ladies of Another View. She was managing editor and co-author of Ascension Press’ bestselling Amazing Grace series. Her latest books are What Would Monica Do? and Holy Hacks: Everyday Ways to Live Your Faith & Get to Heaven. Patti and her husband, Mark, live in North Dakota where they raised their 10 children.