Video: Heather Johnson offers a step-by-step guide to starting a ministry within your parish.
I truly believe that it's important for us to build community within the Church. Maybe God's tugging on your heart to have a Bible study or a book study or a Rosary group or mothers' prayer group.
In this video, I'm offering tools for starting a ministry within your parish.
Steps for starting a community within your parish:
- Plan a few months ahead of the first session
- Choose the focus for your group
- Be consistent about meeting time and place
- Offer childcare
- Have a consistent outline of the meeting's agenda
- Building community is more important than sticking strictly to the plan
- Plan refreshments: sign-up, pot luck
- Form a team of helpers
- Engage with new members to help them get comfortable with the group
- Publicize your group ahead of the first meeting
- Have the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other resources available
- Consider size of the group; if it's larger than 12, split it and put members with similar interests or circumstances together
Resources mentioned in this video:
The Handbook for Catholic Moms by Lisa M. Hendey
Copyright 2022 Heather Johnson
About the Author
Heather Johnson is a Catholic wife and mother to 4 beautiful children ages 8-3 (and one on the way). Her greatest joy is her vocation of being a wife, mother, homemaker and home chef. Her ministry is through her YouTube channel A Catholic Mom's Life where she loves spreading hope and joy to Catholic moms and encouraging all Catholic's to love Christ with their whole hearts.