This recipe has been adapted from The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz. This means it not only has cancer-fighting properties, but it is designed to nourish those who need it most.Red lentils can be found at health food stores or in Indian grocery stores. Serve with basmati rice, naan or pita bread.
There are many meatless Indian recipes. What are your favorites?
Velvety Red Lentil Dahl
Yield: 3 – 4 servings
Time: 45 min.
Extra-virgin olive oil 1 tbsp.
Cumin, seeds 3/4 tsp.
Mustard seeds, black or brown 3/4 tsp.
Onion, yellow, diced small 1/2 ea.
Ginger, fresh, minced 1/2 tbsp.
Turmeric, ground 1 tsp.
Cumin, ground 1 tsp.
Sea salt to taste
Diced tomatoes, canned 1 cup
Chicken or Vegetable Stock 6 cups
Red lentils, rinsed well 1 cup
Cinnamon, stick 1/2 ea.
Lime juice, fresh 1 tsp.
Mint or Cilantro, finely chopped 1/8 cup
1. Set a large pot to medium heat and add oil. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and sauté until they begin to pop, then quickly add onion, ginger, turmeric, ground cumin, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until onion begins to soften, about 3 min.
2. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 2 more minutes. Pour in ½ cup of broth and reduce by half.
3. Add the red lentils and stir, then add remaining broth, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to a simmer, cover and let cook for 30 min. or until tender.
4. Add salt and let simmer for another 5 min. Remove the cinnamon stick and pour in lime juice.
5. In a blender, puree the soup until very smooth. Adjust consistency according to preference with more broth.
6. Return soup to pot and reheat. Serve with chopped cilantro.
Chef’s Notes: To leave this soup a bit chunky, using a hand held blender, pulse several times to puree the soup slightly.
For step-by-step pictures visit Dora’s Table.
Copyright 2014 Dora Stone
About the Author
We welcome guest contributors who graciously volunteer their writing for our readers. Please support our guest writers by visiting their sites, purchasing their work, and leaving comments to thank them for sharing their gifts here on CatholicMom.com. To inquire about serving as a guest contributor, contact editor@CatholicMom.com.