The world cannot see some airy-fairy "spiritual" unity behind forty thousand or more bickering denominations. The world needs to see visible unity in order to be moved to belief. That's why the Reformation has crippled the evangelization of Western civilization, and it has been downhill for Christianity in the West ever since.Copyright 2018 Sarah Reinhard. All rights reserved.[/caption] The case for the papacy is logical, Dr. Bergsma writes. He has six steps in his logic:
- Jesus desires visible unity of his Church.
- Visible unity requires, ultimately, one "senior pastor."
- The job of "senior pastor" is to maintain unity.
- He can only maintain unity by stopping fights.
- He can only stop fights if his word is final.
- His word is final only if he can make an infallible judgement.
Visit our Book Notes archive.
Copyright 2018 Sarah Reinhard This article contains Amazon affiliate links; your purchases through these links benefit the author.
About the Author
When she’s not chasing kids, chugging coffee, or juggling work, Sarah Reinhard’s usually trying to stay up read just one…more…chapter. She writes and works in the midst of rural farm life with little ones underfoot. She is part of the team for the award-winning Catholic Mom’s Prayer Companion, as well as the author of a number of books. You can join her for a weekday take on Catholic life by subscribing to Three Shots and follow her writing at Snoring Scholar.