- Successful fathers have a sense of supportive partnership with their wives.
- They think long-term about their children’s future character as grown-up men and women.
- They frequently talk with their wives about their children’s character strengths and weaknesses.
- They frequently discuss things with their children.
- Of course, such fathers listen to their children as well.
- Successful fathers keep television watching to a minimum.
- They see discipline not as punishment or mere behavior-control but rather as a means of building their children’s self-control
- Successful fathers are confident of their authority.
- Successful fathers seem to have a number of close friends.
- Successful fathers frequently have a deep and active religious faith.
- Successful fathers teach their children to be ‘poor in spirit.’
- Finally, the most successful fathers always put their families ahead of their jobs.
Copyright 2018 Fr. Willy Raymond, C.S.C.
About the Author
Father Willy Raymond, C.S.C. is President of Holy Cross Family Ministries. He entered Holy Cross Fathers in 1964. He earned a Bachelors in Philosophy from Stonehill College in 1967 and a Masters in Theology from the University of Notre Dame in 1971. In addition to English, Father Willy is conversant in French and Spanish. He's a native of Old Town, Maine and one of 12 children. He remains a diehard fan of the Boston Red Sox, even though he has served as Chaplain for the Los Angeles Dodgers.