- Pray a decade of the Rosary as a family, perhaps a couple times a week or on Sundays if nightly isn’t feasible.
- Sacrifice beans. When the children show acts of virtue or kindness, or make a sacrifice, they can put a coffee bean in a jar, At Easter they turn into jelly beans.
- Have a Lenten devotional book that you read together daily or weekly.
- Save money for a specific mission or charity.
- Play a game together once a week instead of watching a movie or TV.
- Pray the Angelus before dinner.
- Write letters and cards and color pictures for loved ones, the sick, or the homebound.
- Go to the Stations of the Cross. Perhaps set a goal of three times during Lent.
- Resurrection Eggs. Read the story of Christ’s passion while discussing the symbolism of each object.
- Have the children color pictures from Christ’s life.
- Make Rosaries.
- Visit a nursing home.
- Have a meager meal once a week and use the money you save to buy food for the local food pantry.
- Have five minutes of silence after dinner to instill the practice of listening for God’s voice.
- Set up pictures in your house that the children colored of the Stations of the Cross and pray them together on Fridays. Or maybe just four stations each time.
- At dinner, have each family member share a way they saw God’s love revealed to them that day.
- Clean out closets and the toy room and donate items to charity.
- Give up sweets as a family.
- Host a meal for friends or family and have everyone help out in preparing the food, tidying the house, and setting the table.
- Read the Sunday Gospel together on Saturday evening or during Sunday brunch.
Copyright 2020 Cassie Everts
About the Author
Cassie Everts is a wife, the mother to five little ones in heaven and five children on earth. She is the co-author of Nursery of Heaven: Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Loss in the Lives of the Saints and Today's Parents. She blogs at Everyday Ann where she writes about faith, marriage, motherhood, infertility and adoption. Before becoming a full-time mom, she was a producer at Relevant Radio.