What do you call cheese that isn't yours? Give up? Nacho Cheese! OK, OK, maybe not the best joke but it's a good opener for a fun family dinner. Tough crowd? Set this warm plate of Meatless Nacho Cheese Casserole on the table and they'll quickly forgive your "Dad joke" humor. I came up with this one day when it was 5:30 PM and I still didn't know what to make for dinner. I looked around and found five basic ingredients that go well together: rice, beans, salsa, cheese, and tortilla chips!
In the past, I've simply warmed everything but the chips into a big microwavable or stove-top bowl and let everyone dip the chips in for a really
lazy simple dinner. I've also made something similar using fried and cut-up corn tortillas. Alas, I only had the chips but decided to try baking it all together. And guess, what -- I discovered a new delicious and super fast and easy meatless meal my family can really enjoy! It's so simple, anyone can make this by following these easy steps:
- First, gather the rice, beans, salsa, cheese and tortilla chips.
- You'll also need some taco seasoning of your choice.
- Cook the rice.
- Add in a can of drained black beans to the cooked rice and mix.
- Mix in the taco seasoning.
Next, assembly time!
- Grease an 11x13 baking pan
- Spread a little salsa on the bottom.
- Next, add some of the rice and beans over top the salsa, then sprinkle on a layer of cheese, add a little salsa over that, top with a layer of tortilla chips. First layer done!
- Continue this layering process until you're out of the rice and beans and top everything with a last layer of cheese.
- Cover your pan with foil, bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes. (This keeps the cheese from burning.)
- Remove the foil after 10 minutes and bake for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Remove the pan from the oven, call everyone to the table, say a family prayer. (Remember to tell the joke!)
- Eat and enjoy!
Copyright 2018 Erika Marie