- Place the game board in the center of the table with the year marker on Year One.
- Make stockpiles of Animal tokens, Influence cubes, Money tokens, and the Destruction dice.
- Shuffle the blue-backed Ambassadors and deal 5 face down. Do the same for the gray-backed ones and deal 1 face down after the blue-backed ones.
- You will then setup the specific module, depending on what type of animal you want to save, both Tiger and Otter are included in the game so far. For the Tiger module, you will need deforestation tiles, the Tiger Impact Deck, and to seed the board with 8 Tigers according to the scenario sheet.
- Each player will also perform some player setup, which involves choosing a role and their Specialty. They will also receive a turn marker, dice in their player color, and a player deck. Shuffle your deck and draw two cards to form your starting hand.
- Actions Phase – Retrieve and roll your dice. Place them on active Actions to perform abilities. (Note: When placing dice, it must be the highest die on the Actions spot of the board or Actions card.) Actions can involve revealing Ambassadors cards, which will need to be satisfied to win the game or you could also move Animals around to keep them out of harm’s way.
- Offspring Phase –If there is a Mating Pair (two animals in same square), you will roll the die. Add 1 to the number of Mating Pairs, and if your die roll is less than that number you gain an Offspring to place on an empty space adjacent to a Mating Pair.
- Destruction Phase – Choose a row or column, and then roll the Destruction die. Add a destruction tile to the environment in the column where the die was rolled. If there is already a tile there, move the tile to the nearest Tiger in the line until it reaches a space without a destruction tile, which may or may not contain an animal. If an animal is there, they are lost back to the supply.
- Impact Phase – Play the top card from the Impact deck. Most are bad for you, but there are a few good ones in the mix as well.
- Upkeep Phase – Draw a new Action card, place it in your hand, and pick a player who hasn’t played this year yet.
See all our Family Game Night articles here.
Copyright 2019 Stuart Dunn
About the Author
Stuart Dunn was born and raised in Mobile, AL and received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Master of Business Administration from the University of South Alabama. Stuart reviews all things Catholic including adult books, children’s books, Bible Study series, Catholic Courses, CDs, and DVDs in addition to board games at his blog Stuart’s Study at StuartsStudy.blogspot.com.